Click me to see why these adverts are here

Login:
or Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Save the Guinea Worm? Um, no thank you! DIE!
10-07-2012, 10:52 PM
Save the Guinea Worm? Um, no thank you! DIE!
Some people really don't get it!

http://www.deadlysins.com/guineaworm/index.htm

[Image: 136132.jpg]

Here's why the Guinea Worm is "rare" (it was at epidemic levels until the 1990s, & had been for 4000 years!)

[Image: 136133.jpg]

This is someone trying to take one out of his foot. Delightful. They come from drinking unfiltered water, hatch inside a person's tum, & burrow their way through them getting bigger and bigger, causing unbearable burning pain. Victims bathe in cold water to relieve the pain, which in Africa means the nearest river. Worm burrows out into the river, lays its eggs & starts the cycle all over again. Victims are left with permanent sometimes crippling damage.

The only way of getting rid of them is fooling them to come out and then winding them around a matchstick slowly so it doesn't snap, a very long and very painful process.

Jimmy Carter worked to get simple water filters supplied all over Africa for free to stop people drinking the worm eggs. Today it appears he has succeeded, but religious nutters, ultra-ecowarriors and right wing extremists are criticising him for destroying a species of no benefit to anything else. To hell with them, thanks to Carter millions in the poorest areas of the world have one less horror to contend with. Happy day!

Egyptiandance Wacko Fryingpan

[Image: 135762.jpg]
Quote this message in a reply
11-07-2012, 01:45 AM
RE: Save the Guinea Worm? Um, no thank you! DIE!
Yuck, I say kill them all!!! Big Grin

[Image: od8QQA8.png]

11-07-2012, 05:22 AM
Wow, I can (sort of) understand why the ecowarrors would want to... save it, but what do the religious nuts and right-wing politicians want to keep it around for? Or do they just not want people drinking filtered water? I guess this is the same continent where religious zealots have convinced people that condoms cause AIDS.

[center][Image: jZwBSkZFApwr9ym65iLlFoaGo1_500.jpg]
[center]
11-07-2012, 04:26 PM
The solution seems clear. Those advocating saving the guinea worm can volunteer to be hosts to these parasitic worms. Then the rest of the world can live worm-free, while the guinea worm foundation volunteers rest safe in the knowledge that they have provided a habitat for this species... in their legs. Nice.
11-07-2012, 08:23 PM
(11-07-2012 05:22 AM)bobert26 Wrote:  Wow, I can (sort of) understand why the ecowarrors would want to... save it, but what do the religious nuts and right-wing politicians want to keep it around for? Or do they just not want people drinking filtered water? I guess this is the same continent where religious zealots have convinced people that condoms cause AIDS.
The religious nuts claim that it's "interfering with God's will", the right wingers aren't happy because the issue has been a major embarrassment to a number of African political parties that were pals of the American Republican Party, all claiming to have the Guinea Worm problem under control, but didn't. Along comes Carter and suddenly a problem that had "baffled" bureaucrats was dealt with.

Both will attack anything that has to do with Jimmy Carter and the Carter Center because as far as they are concerned he's a no good pinko liberal bleeding heart (at least the American definition of one), & worst of all the US President that saw the nation "humiliated" by Ayatollah Khomenei. Therefore anything he does is "bad".

The cynical view is that as guinea worms cripple so many, costing African nations millions in lost agricultural and industrial production, it keeps those nations poor & relient on remaining "client states" of the rich.

Problems being solved without politicians help is also subconsciously subversive, no matter how many lives it makes better - and if doesn't come more subversive than a man somehow managing to achieve (with the help of thousands of volunteers) to do far more worldwide as an ordinary citizen than he ever managed when the most powerful man on Earth as a United States President.

Egyptiandance Wacko Fryingpan

[Image: 135762.jpg]
14-07-2012, 03:01 PM
(11-07-2012 04:26 PM)Caspin Wrote:  The solution seems clear. Those advocating saving the guinea worm can volunteer to be hosts to these parasitic worms. Then the rest of the world can live worm-free, while the guinea worm foundation volunteers rest safe in the knowledge that they have provided a habitat for this species... in their legs. Nice.
That's the perfect solution. Now let's see how many volunteer.

By the way, that is one of the most disgusting things I've ever seen.