Click me to see why these adverts are here

Login:
or Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is anyone watching the Olympics?
30-07-2012, 10:30 PM
Is anyone watching the Olympics?
Every time it comes on, I always say I won't but there's always something that sucks me in, although the least said about the opening ceremony the better. Apart from the clever way the Olympic flame was created, the rest of it was like the end of term play primary school brats are forced to put on for their parents.

So far Britain's sucking at everything. One silver & two bronze. FFS, the country of Robin Hood can't even get one in archery!

Love the cross country horseriding, especially if a rider falls off & the horse stops to look back at them as if to say "can't you do something as simple as stay on for 2 minutes? It's no as if YOU'RE the one that's having to run & jump these!"

Egyptiandance Wacko Fryingpan

[Image: 135762.jpg]
Quote this message in a reply
30-07-2012, 10:32 PM (This post was last modified: 03-08-2012 11:36 PM by Ollie.)
RE: Is anyone watching the Olympics?
Wooo Australia FTW!!! I think we've gotten a bunch of gold (AKA one piece).

[Image: od8QQA8.png]

31-07-2012, 10:10 PM
Watched the GB women's hockey show how it's done. 5-3! Yahoo

Pity they blew a 3-1 lead so the Koreans brought it back to 3-3 PissedOff

Only for us to score two goals two minutes later Tease

Knew the Germans were going to win the team equestrian though - unless they had someone on a grassy knoll to shoot that Michael Jung, everyone else had no chance.

As for that Chinese swimmer, of course no drugs were involved - much! Five seconds off their previous personal best before the games? Aye, sure it's legit. Nah

01-08-2012, 05:58 AM
The chinese are the worst at cheating. Yay Australia appears to be raking pretty well in twelfth place and poor great britain is further down the track and Uzbekistan is last. Tongue

01-08-2012, 10:33 AM
I'm mostly watching just the highlights at the moment as life is quite busy. I will try to watch the relay races live, though - all that scrabbling to keep hold of the baton makes it so much more tense!

I didn't mind the opening ceremony. Reading the reactions of people in other countries was quite entertaining at any rate. The cauldron was amazing. I understand why they are going to disassemble it so that all the countries can take home a chunk, but I wish the artist had made two so we could keep one here.

I feel a bit sorry for some of our athletes who were expected to get gold medals. To reach the top in your sport and be competing in the Olympics on home turf, only to then feel that you have to apologise to the nation for "only" getting silver or bronze seems crazy to me.
01-08-2012, 10:46 PM
Considering the money that was flung at the athletes (or at least claimed to be) when Tony Blair was in power, on top of the money gained from the National Lottery reinvested into sport, this was meant to be the year it all turned good for Team GB. The target's 44 in total I think, but I think they're going to struggle.

There's been another athlete disqualified for drug taking, someone from Uzbekistan. As if they haven't enough problems over there.

The handball between the Croats & Serbs was good - a game I'm not familiar with but it was easy to learn the rules just by watching. Twice Serbia looked like they were going to come back as they reduced the lead to 2 goals, only for the Croats to shoot ahead again.

Think I'll watch the France vs Sweden women's soccer quarter finals tomorrow. Not sure who I want to win, but I'll probably root for the team with the most attractive players oops I mean play. Blush

02-08-2012, 10:38 AM
Team GB have some golds now, yay for them!

I quite like watching women's football. They seem to spend less time throwing themselves on the ground and moaning about fake injuries than the blokes.

Tonguedrop
02-08-2012, 08:54 PM
So true! FIFA said they'd clamp down on players faking injuries but if anything it has got worse since most top male footballers are all metrosexual posers who wear as much make up as their WAGs.

They showed the Brechin City vs Rangers on Sunday (this being the Rangers who were thrown out of the top league to the bottom for tax-cheating & "phoenixing" into a new company to escape their debts). Every little foul on a Rangers player & they were rolling around like they'd been machine gunned. Whenever a Brechin player was fouled, he was back on his feet instantly, because you do that in lower league football, you're out of the team.

At last we're starting to get some golds on the board. Good to see Gemma Gibbons getting the silver in the Judo after being so badly injured six months back.

Beach volleyball, ugh! Was there ever a more pointless Olympic event? Cheap titilation masquerading as a sport. What criteria do they use for picking squads, how good they look in spandex? If we wait around long enough, they'll be adding mud wrestling as an event and replacing pole vaulting with pole dancing.

03-08-2012, 03:41 PM
I remember seeing an episode of QI, or some such fact-giving show, in which they told us that the Olympics of yesteryear included events such as Poetry and Town Planning. I think they should reintroduce some of these! In fact they should have a Baking event and I could go and enter a cheesecake Smile
03-08-2012, 11:38 PM
Mmmmm I got to watch Germans verse Germans in beach volleyball (My favourite sport to watch) and guess who won, the Germans.