Login:
or Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How's this for an Art Attack?
23-08-2012, 01:48 PM
Wink How's this for an Art Attack?
I love these real life Mr Bean moments.

The famous fresco "Ecce Homo" (Behold The Man) by Elias Garcia Martinez has taken pride of place in the Sanctuary of Mercy Church near Zaragoza for over a century. But as you can see in the middle copy, it has been suffering from the effects of the environment & was needing to be restored.

[Image: zodvgi.jpg]

The church got a big grant and a donation from the painter's granddaughter to get the restoration job done, only for some daft old bat to decide she could do the job herself so the church could pocket the cash using paint she bought from the local shops.

Her handiwork can be seen on the right hand side, described by one horrified art critic as "a crayon sketch of a very hairy monkey in an ill-fitting tunic". Biggrin

If she plays The Sims 3, her painting skill level must be 2 - "Canvas Cretin"!

Egyptiandance Wacko Fryingpan

[Image: 135762.jpg]
Quote this message in a reply
23-08-2012, 03:11 PM (This post was last modified: 23-08-2012 06:36 PM by Caspin.)
RE: How's this for an Art Attack?
Oh dear! That looks like I drew it. She got the angle of the head right.
24-08-2012, 11:37 PM
The person responsible Cecilia Gimenez is now claiming it was done with the local priest's blessing (he has gone into hiding!) & insists she hasn't finished it yet. The only problem is if she sets foot outside her front door, let alone go back to the church to finish her "masterpiece", the locals are going to murder her!

The Huffington Post are doing their best to kickstart an alternative "the new one is better than the old one, let's keep it" campaign.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/24...p_ref=arts

Of course it's all shiz & giggles for them, but I suppose it isn't much fun for the locals. Quite aside from the adverse publicity, once the novelty wears off that means they've lost what was a big tourist attraction for the place.

I also don't like the way the militant atheist crowd (the Richard Dawkins groupies) are getting behind the petition to keep it, claiming it "reveals a subtle criticism of the Church's creationist theories while questioning a resurgence of new idols." Yes, sure that was an elderly parishioner's intent all along Dodgy

Cutting through the bull, what they mean is "it should be kept because it's a humiliation for a Christian church". Students backing keeping it out of some Monty Python sense of irony is one thing, but Dawkins groupies wanting it kept as some sort of weapon of humiliation ("humanist" magazines tend to be full of this sort of Simpsons "haha" stories) to belittle others faith with leaves a sour taste. I'm sure Dawkins would be the first to complain if the Catholic church started a campaign for a Lifetime Achievement Oscar to be given to his wife Lalla Ward for all those bloody awful B-movies she did like Vampire Circus! Biggrin

Egyptiandance Wacko Fryingpan

[Image: 135762.jpg]
09-12-2012, 03:30 PM
Wow, that's awful, though I couldn't do much better. Although I wouldn't even attempt it, knowing full well it would turn out like that LOL.

Totalhuni
xx