Click me to see why these adverts are here

Login:
or Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Another example from real life that the world has gone mad
19-12-2012, 11:45 AM
Another example from real life that the world has gone mad
Yesterday I encountered someone I knew for years as one of our local librarians (I visit about four or five libraries, so have got to know quite a few of them) for the first time in a long time. It turned out she was retired. At first I thought it must have been through illness, she was far too young.

No - she was pulled in by her bosses (the local council leisure department) and told they were "doing away with her Grade" (salary grade, that is), so she had a choice, either take a grade step down (or rather three steps down, as it was three steps that were being done away with!) or take voluntary early retirement - at the age of 49! All of those cleared out had one thing in common, they had librarianship qualifications.

It had to be voluntary retirement for the simple sake of paying the bills (that's how bad the downstep was going to be for her) as part of the deal was honouring what wage she would have got until she was 60 as part of the final pension pot. But as she put it, the same council saying they have to cut back on services & "it's all the government's fault" are paying a large chunk of people who were in work & wanted to work to sit at home & do nothing. "Here, have a pension, that takes into account 11 years of work you never did!"

Why have they done this? It's because they're moving library services towards the day they are staffed by volunteers, as happens in some parts of the USA where all they have to pay for is 3rd party liability, and Chartered librarians or anyone with librarianship qualifications stands in their way.

A couple of people resisted, taking the downgrade because they'd not as much to lose (the lowest of the bandings) or out of principle, & are trying to fight it, but they've no chance. The council shut the second most used library in the district a few years back to turn it into an advice centre no one uses but gave some councillor's husband & daughter a cushy wee number.

Give about ten years, & the libraries in my area will be manned by the disinterested forced into it by their local Social Security office for work-experience or busy-bodies wanting to censor what books are allowed in stock (as happened when they allowed them onto local school boards & the first thing they demanded was clearing all the "filth" from the school libraries' shelves). Paid staff with decades of experience will be history. I don't like it one little bit.

Egyptiandance Wacko Fryingpan

[Image: 135762.jpg]
Quote this message in a reply
19-12-2012, 01:19 PM (This post was last modified: 19-12-2012 01:19 PM by Caspin.)
RE: Another example from real life that the world has gone mad
Yes the world has gone mad. Or perhaps it was always mad and we are only just noticing. It's because it's full of people. Personally I prefer trees.

It is ridiculous to essentially be penalised for obtaining relevant qualifications for your career. Ridiculous to get rid of trained, experienced staff. I've nothing against volunteering per se but we can't run everything that way. Paid jobs for people would be nice. If this is the Big Society then I would like to vote No.

Presumably it's cheaper overall to get rid of staff even if you are going to pay out their pension because you don't have to pay them for holiday/sick leave/other benefits.

Nah
Quote this message in a reply