Click me to see why these adverts are here

Login:
or Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Oh captain, my captain
12-08-2014, 08:31 AM
Oh captain, my captain
Robin Williams has killed himself. Can't believe it. Such a genuinely funny guy & one of those rarities in tinseltown as someone that was a genuinely nice guy off set. Seems he'd been battling inner demons for some time.

He never seemed to get the credit he deserved for his straight acting, such as "Dead Poet's Society" & "One Hour" (the latter in which he was completely chilling).

RIP

Egyptiandance Wacko Fryingpan

[Image: 135762.jpg]
Quote this message in a reply
12-08-2014, 02:00 PM
RE: Oh captain, my captain
It is very sad. As you say, the guy really could act, seriously as well as comedy, and he did seem really sweet off-stage. A terrible shock for his poor wife and friends.

I expect this will result in discussions in the press about depression, some of which are likely to make me very cross.
14-08-2014, 12:40 PM
It appears he had money troubles as well which were catching up on him. Bad investments & the maintenance from 2 divorces putting him at the risk of bankruptcy, but he had the nous to ringfence a big part of his estate to ensure when he was gone they would be ok.

This gives me the horrible thought that he killed himself because he thought his family would be better off without him. I'm sure they'd have traded in all the perks from his fame & wealth to keep someone they loved.

Egyptiandance Wacko Fryingpan

[Image: 135762.jpg]
14-08-2014, 02:06 PM (This post was last modified: 15-08-2014 09:02 AM by Caspin.)
Yes I saw that in the stupid papers. But don't most life insurance polices etc become invalidated by suicide? Or is that just in Agatha Christie novels?!

Added: apparently he had also been diagnosed with Parkinson's. The poor sod. Probably everything just piled up and got too much for him. It would be bad news for anybody but for someone already sunk into depression... just awful.
09-05-2015, 02:48 AM
Very sad when I found out he'd gone. I think 'Good Morning Vietnam' was the first time I'd ever seen him. Of course there was Mork & Mindy before that as well as Hook (which I did not like in the least) later but kudos to him for trying to break out of the comedic mold. A very sad day that was.