Click me to see why these adverts are here

Login:
or Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Woohoo!! DRM will be like in Sims 2, not like Spore!!!
29-03-2009, 07:50 PM
Woohoo!! DRM will be like in Sims 2, not like Spore!!!
Read this message from Rod Humble!!

dateline= Wrote:Hello everyone I wanted to share news with you regarding our copy protection plans for The Sims 3.

We’ll have more information for you as we get closer to launch about everything we’ll have to offer on TheSims3.com and The Sims 3 Store, but we have heard your requests over the past months and here is our plan for The Sims 3.

The game will have disc-based copy protection – there is a Serial Code just like The Sims 2. To play the game there will not be any online authentication needed.

We feel like this is a good, time-proven solution that makes it easy for you to play the game without DRM methods that feel overly invasive or leave you concerned about authorization server access in the distant future.

We’re really excited to bring you the game for the PC and Mac starting June 2, 2009. The extra time we’ve taken to polish the game has resulted in an even better game experience for you to enjoy and we can’t wait for you to see for yourself!

Thanks for your passion and your loyalty.
Rod Humble

http://thesims3.ea.com/view/pages/newsIt...-608201177

I'm sooo happy!  Big Grin {clap} {1eye}
Quote this message in a reply
30-03-2009, 01:41 AM
Re: Woohoo!! DRM will be like in Sims 2, not like Spore!!!
OMG AWESOME FIND!

Such a big weight lifted! I was planning on buying it anyways, even though I could just as easily illegally download it. But, I don't want to download it. And now I don't have to constantly have thoughts of invasive, horrible DRM in the back of my mind while playing. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
At least they did one major thing right, I'm slowly forgiving them for the delay. If it had not been delayed, I'm assuming it would have come with SecuROM. Ews.

My social life will cease to exist in June.
30-03-2009, 02:32 AM
Rod IS humble after all!  Big Grin

I assumed Sims 3 would have SecuRom like Spore and decided not to buy it. But NOW I have changed my mind.  Big Grin

I think one of the reasons for the delayed release was that EA needed time to think about the DRM. They had so many complaints after Spore was released and were sued.  I think it would have had the same DRM as Spore if it was released in february. Wink
31-03-2009, 11:03 AM
Aww, that's nice of them then. I would have bought it anyway (only because I'm ignorant to all this about DRM etc, I still don't fully understand what it is), but I know a lot of people were resisting purchasing the game unless there was no DRM. So this is good for them. =]

[Image: mirandacosgrovecassie.png]
31-03-2009, 10:40 PM
Spore has SecuRom and it installs with the game. You can only install the game on five different computers. It sounds ok, but if you upgrade your computer with a new graphics card or something, it will count as a new computer too. When you have installed the game five times you must call EA and beg if you want to install it again. They can say no for whatever reason... I think they would say no for games bought second hand, which makes it difficult to sell used games..  {unsure}

SecuRom can also decide that it doesn't like your dvd player and stop it from working. It has happened for lots of people.  >:-(

And if you uninstall the game SecuRom will stay, and you can't remove it.  ???

SO I'm VERY happy Sims 3 will NOT contain SecuRom.  Big Grin
31-03-2009, 11:19 PM
Well, not all of that was quite right, but you got the general idea right. If you have to reformat or install a new version of Windows, that's a new computer. I don't think a graphics card would count. I don't think they would say no for any reason if you had a legitimate need to ask for more installs. It's more to make sure real people are not abusing the game. But it is a total pain. I think if you bought your game used from a store like GameStop there shouldn't be a problem. Even if you did buy it from like a yard sale, if you just told them that, I don't think there would be a problem. SecuROM interferes with burning programs, even perfectly legal ones that often come with computers. So if you are using your DVD drive and there is burning software, running or not, it may see it as an attempt to burn programs. Sims or not. SecuROM CAN be removed, but only through a grueling process, when it should be removed with an uninstall. SecuROM is very invasive. For it to shut down legal burning software, even when the game is not running or in your computer, is beyond ridiculous. It also should not have secret files, or be so hard to remove. It's practically malware.

Put simply, SecuROM sucks. What's funny is one version was cracked the day it was released. It only punishes the honest buyers of the game. You could just as easily download a free game without SecuROM.

My social life will cease to exist in June.
19-04-2009, 08:38 PM
YAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol  {rolleyes}

[Image: AMGD.gif]
[Image: ByoN.gif]
[Image: GGsA.gif]
[Image: GKmV.gif]
<br /> Clicky clicky<br /><br />[Image: ibb.png]
[Image: render_girl-1-1.png]
[Image: 6-1.png]
[Image: Sims3Nieuws045-1.png]
<br />Bambi Buttons now available in Blue Smile