Click me to see why these adverts are here

Login:
or Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Can't uninstall Sims - PLEASE help
19-11-2009, 02:15 AM (This post was last modified: 19-11-2009 02:26 AM by sosplease.)
Can't uninstall Sims - PLEASE help
So, I've tried everything that I know of to try and uninstall Sims off my hard drive.  I thought it was gone until I found a folder on my C drive - program files, that is labeled "Maxis"  Inside it is a Sims folder with a ton of contents.  When I try to delete, an error message comes up saying....

[b]Cannot delete addressbooktxt.jpg: Access is denied.  Make sure that disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.[/b]

Not sure what else to do?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?  Help Please
Quote this message in a reply
19-11-2009, 03:20 AM
Re: Can't uninstall Sims - PLEASE help
Are we talking TS2 or TS3?  I don't have TS3, but I have had this sort of problem before with my TS2 game.  Okay, so let's try this:

START > ALL PROGRAMS > EA > THE SIMS 2/3 > UNINSTALL
Start with Expansions first if there are any, working your way UP to the Base Game

If you have done that already, let's try this:
START > CONTROL PANEL > ADD OR REMOVE PROGRAMS

Do you see anything for EA or Maxis under there?  If you do, then the game did not uninstall properly, or it left something behind.  If there is a tab on the right that says 'remove' click this to remove it.

Hopefully this will help you.  No promises, but it's worth a shot.
Also, try rebooting your computer and THEN try deleting the folder.  Had that happen to me before, too.

Member since March 17th, 2008
Forever and Always, a SimsForums Oldie
19-11-2009, 03:31 AM
Thank you for the reply!!!

I have tried all of that before and the only place it still exists is in the C drive - programs folder...like I said it is in a folder labeled Maxis.  There is nothing else anywhere that I can find on my computer.  It was the Sims Deluxe with the vacation movie star expansion pack.
19-11-2009, 03:43 AM
Ah.  I see.  I never had TS1 Deluxe edition, so I'm not entirely sure what could be making that file stay on your computer. 

However, I did find a program called "FileAssassin" that might be able to help.  Here is the page I found, that mentions the same problem you're having:

http://blog.taragana.com/index.php/archi...r-program/

Maybe that could help you?  :3

Member since March 17th, 2008
Forever and Always, a SimsForums Oldie
19-11-2009, 04:10 AM
OKay...I tried the website you suggested and I'm still having no luck.  I was sooooo sure when I read the website that it was going to work :{

This has been on my computer since 2005!!!!  This is the first time that I have actually posted something for some help.  I really hope that I can get to the bottom of this.  It's taking up space and my computer is getting older and slower.

Thank you for your time helping me.
19-11-2009, 05:35 AM
Is that the only file that won't allow you to uninstall? Have you tried renaming the file before trying to delete it?

[center]<br />“Be vewy, vewy quiet. We’re hunting demons.”<br />- Phoebe Halliwell<br /><br />My Sims 2 Stories and Legacies<br /><br />| Halliwell Asylum | The Willams's Legacy | The Peterson Story |<br />| Eyra - Prosperity Challenge | The Picker Family - Uglacy | <br /><br />My Sims 3 Stories and Legacies<br /> <br />| Role Legacy | Sim Share 2 | Sim Share 3 | SimsForums Legacy |<br /><br />There's new updates for the Picker Family<br /><br />| LJ | Website |<br />[/center]
19-11-2009, 02:08 PM
That is the only file that I can't seem to delete.  I was able to rename the Maxis folder, but it would not let me for the contents inside the folder. The same error message came up...

Cannot delete addressbooktxt.jpg: Access is denied.  Make sure that disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.
20-11-2009, 08:03 PM
Okay, You're gonna want to right click the file and select properties. From there you want to go under the "Security" tab.

If you are an Admin on your computer, everything in the second box (where write, read, etc) should be checked. IF NOT, you need to edit permissions.

If you are a USER, that's your problem. You need to be an admin most likely to delete the files. You can try to give users all access as well, but it might not work.

[center]<br />“Be vewy, vewy quiet. We’re hunting demons.”<br />- Phoebe Halliwell<br /><br />My Sims 2 Stories and Legacies<br /><br />| Halliwell Asylum | The Willams's Legacy | The Peterson Story |<br />| Eyra - Prosperity Challenge | The Picker Family - Uglacy | <br /><br />My Sims 3 Stories and Legacies<br /> <br />| Role Legacy | Sim Share 2 | Sim Share 3 | SimsForums Legacy |<br /><br />There's new updates for the Picker Family<br /><br />| LJ | Website |<br />[/center]