www.simsforums.com - the Sims series, computer games & other nonsense since March 2008.
Website Move - This May Be Goodbye! - Printable Version

+- www.simsforums.com - the Sims series, computer games & other nonsense since March 2008. (https://www.simsforums.com)
+-- Forum: The Sims Forums Community (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Thread: Website Move - This May Be Goodbye! (/showthread.php?tid=12008)

Website Move - This May Be Goodbye! - matt - 22-02-2021 03:14 PM

Short version: I'm moving this website to a new server. If the move works without issue, great, see you soon! If anything going wrong, this may be the end...

Longer Version: I currently have 2 hosting accounts with different providers. I'm closing one of them down, the one this site sits on. I know these forums are no longer used but it's nice to have them up for the nostalgia! So I will try and move them to my new provider. However, the forum software is very out of date as it's been neglected for many, many years (my bad), so the chances are things are going to break. I will try and fix anything but if I come across any series problems, I may have to bite the bullet and turn the forums off. Hopefully it won't come to that, but I thought I'd post this just in case.

Wish me luck ... not that anyone is going to read this...!

RE: Website Move - This May Be Goodbye! - matt - 22-02-2021 07:06 PM

Well that went surprisingly smoothly...

Next step, try set up SSL. Sounds like a tomorrow job to me. Seriously, no idea why I'm talking to myself...

RE: Website Move - This May Be Goodbye! - matt - 23-02-2021 04:00 PM

So SSL is 'working', but I need to force it. The ads don't seem to work on SSL, but that doesn't really matter.

I thought about updating the forum software to the latest version, but that's pretty much guaranteed to break everything so I'll hold off for now...

RE: Website Move - This May Be Goodbye! - matt - 25-02-2021 04:11 PM

HTTPS is now forced. Also removed the nav link to the 'Games' as they don't work anymore since Flash is dead.

... still don't know why I'm bothering with the updates!

RE: Website Move - This May Be Goodbye! - Minty - 27-02-2021 11:20 AM

Yes, all looking shipshape from this side

Anyway, we're all waiting for Sims 5. Can't believe Sims 4 has lasted this long!

EgyptiandanceWackoFryingpan