Click me to see why these adverts are here

Login:
or Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Offical Book Thread :D
26-07-2013, 11:46 PM
RE: Offical Book Thread :D
Oh yeah, the Holocaust. If you ever want the brutal lowdown on it without the soft soaping or sanctification that tends to get in the way of the truth, read Commandant of Auschwitz by Rudolph Hoess (the Commandant in question). He really does himself no favours (passages about children carrying their toys in with them to the gas chambers), & there's a horrible "there but..." to him. He also correctly predicted that in years to come people would try denying the events there ever took place, because what happened was so monstrous & insane you wouldn't believe anyone could do such a thing.

Did you see "Auschwitz: The Nazis & The Final Solution" when it was on the BBC? Brilliant series, the best ever about the subject matter. I was amazed at the former camp guard (Oskar Groning) who spoke on it at length, primarily because he wanted to shut up Holocaust deniers. There's a very good book that accompanied the series that for once does the show justice.

Egyptiandance Wacko Fryingpan

[Image: 135762.jpg]
Quote this message in a reply
27-07-2013, 10:21 PM
No I missed that TV series but heard that it was good. Maybe I'll get hold of the book if you recommend it.

Fortunately, the remaining stories in my book were not as harrowing as the first. There seemed to be a theme of temporary insanity in all of them.
18-11-2013, 03:33 AM
Pendragon is a very good series. One of my favorite ones, actually. I am going to read Matilda by Ronald Dahl soon. It's one of my favorite movies and I love his work.
20-11-2013, 09:24 PM
Matilda was his most difficult book to write apparantly. He kept rewriting it because he got into a panic that if it didn't sell he'd be finished.

Seems silly now considering how much he dominated children's literature in those pre-Harry Potter days, but it was the age of Enid Blyton books being banned from libraries & no author felt safe. He'd also turned down an OBE which had put more than a few noses in the publishing world out of joint to his dismay, "not the done thing" & all that.

20-11-2013, 10:47 PM
I heard that it was his most difficult book. NPR, national public radio in America, had his daughter on for a news story. It was so interesting. He's a great author because his stories are so simple, yet they carry a lot of meaning about our society.
21-11-2013, 09:06 PM
If you ever get the chance to read his short stories, do so. "The Boy Who Talked With Animals" & "The Sound Machine" were great. "The Champion of the World" was later expanded into "Danny: The Champion Of The World".

30-05-2014, 08:30 PM
I think I will start reading all of the Sherlock Holmes books. I've read a few but not all. I once read all of Agatha Christie's books in rapid succession and found that quite entertaining so should be fine. Some sort of massive crime novel binge Big Grin
13-09-2014, 04:54 PM
Right, don't let me play any games until I've read all my new books, OK? Cheers! Smile

Going to start with the new one by Haruki Murakami, which appears to come with a sheet of stickers. Am I meant to illustrate the story with them? Odd!
13-09-2014, 09:57 PM
That's "Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage" (no I haven't read it, merely heard of it). If the book had been printed in Scotland, the stickers would probably have said Yes! or No! on them.

If you are reading this, why aren't you reading your book? Poke

13-09-2014, 10:51 PM (This post was last modified: 14-09-2014 08:51 AM by Caspin.)
Oi, quit jabbing me!

Yes, that's the book. I love his writing and am enjoying it so far, although I get the impression it may not end up being as good as some of his previous novels. I think I'm allowed on the internet a wee bit though Tongue

Here is a picture of the mad stickers.

[Image: imagejpg1-12.jpg]

Some if them are pretty strange. I wonder what people are doing with them. I cannot envisage applying them to a hardback book (£20!) but if anyone urgently needs a sticker of a car or a rabbit or a chair, let me know lol!