Click me to see why these adverts are here

Login:
or Register

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
A Tramp Around The Sims 3 (A Rags To Riches Challenge)
26-01-2012, 09:55 PM (This post was last modified: 26-01-2012 10:04 PM by Minty.)
Rainbow A Tramp Around The Sims 3 (A Rags To Riches Challenge)
There are various Rags To Riches/Hobo To Millionaire challenges for Sims 3 (start off without a home or any money and aim to become a millionaire in the quickest time, this one borrows from those around with a few twists.

Initial Start

You should start on a world that is unfamiliar to you, so you don't know automatically where the spawners are for freebies such as gems, insects, fruit, etc.

Your Sim starts on a 10 x 10 lot with a permanent tent, bin and mailbox, which must be placed on a new space well outside of town well away from any other Sims residences. This is to make it harder for them to make money by rummaging in bins, mooching for food or money, etc. In the real world, a local tramp (hobo) would not be tolerated by locals and the police would force them to "move along".

Other than that the lot is empty.

You are only allowed to buy for the lot a bike stand (since the stupid game won't let you have a bike without one!) but no conveniences like electrical goods, bathtubs, etc. Nothing that requires a connected source of power (except for water).

Your starting Simoleons must be set to Zero using the following:

In game, display the console by pressing the following key combination: CTRL + SHIFT + C. Press all at the same time.

Now enter the following and hit ENTER to activate:

familyfunds [nameofhousehold] 0

eg. familyfunds Minty Green 0

Until they can afford a regular home (ie. a prebuilt home that came with whatever world you are playing in) this must remain their base of operation. They are not allowed to move in with anyone as a way of getting around this.

Your Sim may not cook meals when some of the ingredients are missing and they can buy them automatically.

If you have a mod that disables Celebrity status, turn status to OFF.

You may not register as Self-Employed until you buy a regular home (as before).

You can adopt a pet if the opportunity arises with a stray but otherwise this is not allowed until you have a home of your own. No animal welfare organisation would hand over a pet in a secure shelter to live rough with a vagrant.

No employment

The Sim must not take a regular job until they have earned enough money to buy a regular existing house in the Sims world they are playing in (ie. not one created by the player). They are not allowed to move in with anyone as a way of getting around this or any similar restrictions.

No relationships

No romantic relationships until they can buy a regular home as above. In the real world, the only such relationships are between other down and outs. Most are too busy trying to survive to have time for love.

Barbeque Grills

BBQ grills are also out of bounds until they have a regular existing house, because Sims magically get hot dogs out of nowhere and they don't even need to pay for it. You can only use the BBQs if it is to cook food acquired legitimately (eg. caught fish or food bought at the supermarket).

Public And Private Transport

No cab or subway rides if your Sim has less than ยง500 funds - they are not free
in the real world.

Until you have a regular home and a regular job, you cannot buy motorised transport.

You can however buy a bicycle at any time.

Harvesting

You can harvest from all trees and plants growing in public property or in the wild except for money trees - you do not harvest from them ever.

Gems, Metals, Seeds, Insects & Other Harvestables

You can sell those items in the consignment shop or supermarket, or insects at the lab.

Public Lots

You can use showers and toilets on community lots, and benches for sleeping on.

Sleeping Bag

You can buy a sleeping bag or another tent to carry about with you if wishing to increase your mobility.

Diners

You can eat at a diner if your Sim can afford it.

Random Game Opportunities And Community Challenges

Your Sim can take opportunities to make extra money, subject to the restrictions above.

[Image: 135762.jpg]
Quote this message in a reply
26-02-2012, 10:26 PM
RE: A Tramp Around The Sims 3 (A Rags To Riches Challenge)
I beg to differ about Gems, metals and Stones and the consignment store. The only way to sell these is the old way.

All that you can consign are seeds, paintings, harvestables, inventions and nectars.
10-06-2012, 05:45 PM
This sounds an interesting challenge. I enjoy playing sims who live off the land Smile I might have a go at this at some point.

I have a few questions:
1. Are we supposed to use any particular age span? Normally my sims have lives of about 150 days, with about 100 of those being spent as YA/Adult. Is that OK?
2. I am guessing that it's fair game to use lifetime reward points as they are earned - so you can get steel bladder, discount diner and so forth?
3. Presumably we are not allowed to buy anything like a painting easel for the lot? Just the bike, once funds allow, until the sim can afford a house?
12-06-2012, 03:17 AM
Age span is up to you (you can even switch it off and just see how long it takes).

Lifetime reward points are fair game, nothing in the rules against them (Sims have to have some perks, even in Rags To Riches!).

Nothing to stop you buying an easel - since it doesn't run off a source of power. Good enough for the Homeless Museum of Art , good enough for The Sims 3!

Good luck!

Egyptiandance Wacko Fryingpan

[Image: 135762.jpg]
12-06-2012, 10:16 AM
Cool, thanks. I was looking for a new challenge for my sim and this sounds like just the thing.

Smile