Click me to see why these adverts are here

Login:
or Register


Post Reply 
 
Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
The Official Nonsense Thread
17-03-2015, 04:09 PM
Post: #18431
RE: The Official Nonsense Thread
Oh no, so now you know my terrible secret! Big Grin
I wouldn't worry to much about not knowing German. It's not exactly what I'd call a beautiful language. And quite hard to learn, I heard. So, if you ever feel like you should learn German again, say "tschechisches Streichholzschächtelchen" three times, that should make the urge go away! Wink
Quote this message in a reply
19-03-2015, 09:49 AM
Post: #18432
RE: The Official Nonsense Thread
Say it three times? I can't say that once! Oh dear. It's lucky that you speak good English, Wanda, as we would otherwise be unable to communicate at all. Some German words are really quite long.

If I was good at learning languages I would like to learn (a) Italian because it sounds lovely and then I would have more of a clue what was happening during an opera (b) Spanish because I did actually try to learn it when I was a kid but failed utterly, it would also be handy as it would lower the risk of 'lost in translation' moments when speaking to Spanish friends and © Welsh, as I have Welsh ancestors (to mix in with the Germans and English).

Somehow it's now Thursday. I'm so happy! My longer working hours should finish this week so things will get a bit easier and the weekend is just around the corner. Lovely.
Quote this message in a reply
19-03-2015, 03:32 PM
Post: #18433
RE: The Official Nonsense Thread
Ha, I thought so. In defence, that was the hardest German word I could think of (not the longest, though). Also, you'd never use that word in real life, except for showing people German is really hard.

Unfortunately, I learned Latin at school instead of French (or Russian. Or Spanish. Or Italian.) so now I can say intelligent sounding things, but not really communicate. If I was in 6th grade again, I would choose French instead!

The prospect of weekend is really a relief. Where do you work, Caspin? I'm in a sort of work training where I go to work and some kind of business school in turns, and I'm currently in the school-part of the circle. On the one hand, I'm home at 3 pm, on the other, I can't really stand it.
Quote this message in a reply
19-03-2015, 04:59 PM
Post: #18434
RE: The Official Nonsense Thread
What does "streichholzschächtelchen" even mean? I put it into Google translate but it didn't come up with any clues! One thing I really like about European languages is the use of accents. It makes the written word look so snazzy, like Elvish or something. I might start going by Cäspin.

I work at a university, doing my best to guide young minds. It's probably why I drink. I have a whole bunch of degrees in science and, although I don't use it directly in my job any more, it is still my first love.
Quote this message in a reply
19-03-2015, 05:56 PM
Post: #18435
RE: The Official Nonsense Thread
Well "Streichholz" is a match, "Schachtel" is a box, the "-chen" part makes it small (and the a go ä) and putting it all in one word makes Caspin go mad! So it's a little match box that makes Caspin go mad!

Your job doesn't sound so bad. I'm planning to enter university after my training is over - but, of course, only as a student.
Quote this message in a reply
20-03-2015, 12:29 AM
Post: #18436
RE: The Official Nonsense Thread
(14-03-2015 09:24 AM)Caspin Wrote:  Last night I went to a whisky tasting, which was fun and interesting, if expensive. There were some very interesting ones, including one that smelled so much of smoke it was as though the glass must have caught fire. Lovely stuff.

The trouble with whisky tasting is by the third or fourth one you're too pissed to really know if it's any good or not. At least with beers you've a realistic chance of survival.

(19-03-2015 04:59 PM)Caspin Wrote:  I work at a university, doing my best to guide young minds. It's probably why I drink.

Biggrin My brother worked at three different universities before & would agree with you 100% on this.

He went to work for a while in a nuclear reactor because there was slightly less risk to life & limb than with a bunch of students paying more attention to the large chested student in the see-through blouse instead of the highly volatile substances they were meant to prevent from overheating or coming into direct contact with the bunsen flame.

Egyptiandance Wacko Fryingpan

[Image: 135762.jpg]
Quote this message in a reply
20-03-2015, 10:11 AM (This post was last modified: 20-03-2015 10:12 AM by Caspin.)
Post: #18437
RE: The Official Nonsense Thread
Ah, here's Minty at last - I missed you! Can you pronounce Wanda's small German matchbox word?

Some of our students are lovely and make me proud. Others appear to have arrived here without any life skills whatsoever, but I blame their parents and/or spoon-feeding schools for that. Anyway, it's the same deal with any group of people, regardless of their age or location - there will always be some who are a delight and make your heart soar and give you hope for the future. Then there's the ones that make you want to curl up in a hole (or put them in one).

I'm the opposite way round to you with whisky/beer. I am perfectly fine after a bunch of drams, but more than half a bottle of anything stronger than peroni and I'm anyone's. Besides, I have a girly bladder and can't deal with such volumes! Dunno

When I woke up this morning I thought it was Saturday. Then the sad truth dawned as my alarm went off. What a disappointment. Oh well - nearly there!

I'm waiting for this solar eclipse to get going. It's extremely cloudy and I don't suppose anything will happen but there's another twenty minutes to go so let's see. We should have gone on a SimsForums road trip to Svalbard!
Quote this message in a reply
20-03-2015, 03:37 PM
Post: #18438
RE: The Official Nonsense Thread
So disappointed by the solar eclipse. I was told there would be 75 %!
Quote this message in a reply
23-03-2015, 01:03 AM (This post was last modified: 23-03-2015 01:04 AM by Minty.)
Post: #18439
RE: The Official Nonsense Thread
(20-03-2015 10:11 AM)Caspin Wrote:  Ah, here's Minty at last - I missed you! Can you pronounce Wanda's small German matchbox word?

Jawohl. Tongue

(20-03-2015 10:11 AM)Caspin Wrote:  I'm waiting for this solar eclipse to get going. It's extremely cloudy and I don't suppose anything will happen but there's another twenty minutes to go so let's see. We should have gone on a SimsForums road trip to Svalbard!

I got what apparantly was one of the best views of the whole day for those smart enough to do it - head for the nearest loch with a guaranteed clear horizon to the south east. The only problem was the sunlight was too strong & although I could see it the photos I took were all bloomed sunlight. Stiff very pleased to have saw it - pity those who went to the Faroes & saw sweet FA or got attacked by polar bears!

Egyptiandance Wacko Fryingpan

[Image: 135762.jpg]
Quote this message in a reply
23-03-2015, 09:44 AM
Post: #18440
RE: The Official Nonsense Thread
(23-03-2015 01:03 AM)Minty Wrote:  Jawohl. Tongue

Oh, you! Fryingpan

(23-03-2015 01:03 AM)Minty Wrote:  Stiff very pleased to have saw it

Stiff? It must have been good.

We were supposed to get 85% eclipse here. The morning was cloudy and dull. At the moment of the eclipse it came slightly duller. After that it went back to the original level of dull. It was really not very good at all. In the afternoon, of course, blazing sunshine. Typical!
Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply 


Forum Jump:


User(s) browsing this thread: 31 Guest(s)